Memorials

 

https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/whatson/whats-on/online/remembering-radcliffe/rsl

The door shown as an icon is The Gill Door at Radcliffe Science Library, Oxford and contains a depiction of six great Oxford Scientists.  Robert Hooke is in the lower left corner.

 

Image result for Gill door radcliffe science library

Freshwater. Isle of Wight


Prior to the creation of the “Robert Hooke Trail” this, and two road signs “Hooke Hill” were the only references to Robert Hooke on the Isle of Wight The plaque is located outside Rapanui at the bottom of Hooke Hill, Freshwater

Great Fire of London


Hooke's name was omitted from the Monument to the Great Fire of London (known generally as just "The Monument"), erected to commemorate the Great Fire of London in 1666, as Sir Christopher Wren has generally been given credit for the design of this monument. The new inscription acknowledges Hooke's role in the Monument's development.

Westminster Abbey


Eddie Smith, former Undermaster and archivist at Westminster School of which Hooke was a member, worked tirelessly on Hooke's behalf to get him a small memorial in Westminster Abbey. The work took years but eventually in 2005 one was unveiled. The inscription reads "Robert Hooke 1703" and is carved from one of the black marble tiles in the floor beneath the Lantern, near the pulpit. This is appropriate as Hooke was responsible for the laying of this floor.

St. Paul's Cathedral


Hooke's memorial at St. Paul's Cathedral is on the wall in the crypt of the cathedral, next to the tomb of Sir Christopher Wren. The quotation around the edge is from Micrographia, Hooke's amazing book, published in 1665.

The Robert Hooke Biodiversity Bell


Designed by sculptor Marcus Vergette and cast at Taylor's Bell Founders in Loughborough from a mould of the same fossil-rich Portland limestone of which the base is made.  Robert Hooke first deduced that species could go extinct from giant ammonite fossils found in Portland stone.

Boyle-Hooke plaque


The Boyle-Hooke plaque on the outside of the Shelley Memorial in the High Street, Oxford.